From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Dienstag, 15. August 2017 13:04
To: Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>
Cc: Aaron Leventhal <aleventhal@google.com>; Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>; ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: ARIA and HTML document question about implicit headings

  <h1 aria-level="3"> Test </h1>

Is not a conformance error in HTML5

On Tuesday, 15 August 2017, Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com<mailto:stefan.schnabel@sap.com>> wrote:
So we have to live with the situation that validators will potentially flame
<h1 aria-level="3"> Test </h1>
but in reality it works since AT/UA is resolving it in the sense “ARIA wins”.

<button role=”textbox” ..>

goes in the same ambiguous direction.

Although this is hypothetical and code above can be seen always as “authoring error” by authoring tools - how will this be resolved in the future?
Is it safe to rely on the AT override behaviour in the long run? I don’t think so.

-          Stefan