Re: figure role backgrounds

Alex,

The SVG accessibility effort does not want to piece part chunks of host language elements in the middle of an SVG document which needs to stand alone. Not all SVG documents are embedded in HTML. So, sticking an HTML figure element inside of an SVG document is a non-starter.

1. you should be copying the public-svg-a11y list which is public and it is where this work is occurring. It is on cc now.
2. We are creating a taxonomy for what is needed for graphics. A need by webcomponents is to create
3. Part of ARIA 1.1 is to create standard native host language semantics that are equivalent to HTML features. Steve specifically asked for the figure role. This also allows HTML AAM to reference a standard ARIA mapping
4. In SVG you don’t want a figure caption (in HTML) embedded in an SVG figure - it is likely to look dreadful. We can address this with an aria-labelledby to SVG text.

Rich