Re: aria-ISSUE-1048 (roledescription role limits): roledescription usage should not be limited to elements with defined ARIA roles [ARIA 1.1 Core Mapping Specification]

James Craig wrote:
> The following requirement is overly restrictive:
>
> User agents must not expose the aria-roledescription property if … The element to which aria-roledescription is applied does not have a valid WAI-ARIA role or does not have an implicit WAI-ARIA role semantic.
>
> This would mean the feature could not be used on any markup element in any host language until such a time as ARIA defined an equivalent role. As we already know ARIA is well behind the current release of HTML, this is an overly restrictive limitation and should be removed.

The requirement in the Core-AAM is a reflection of the same restriction
in the spec [1]:

"User agents MUST NOT expose the aria-roledescription property if any of
the following conditions exist:
1. The element to which aria-roledescription is applied does not have a
valid WAI-ARIA role or does not have an implicit WAI-ARIA role semantic.
..."

This issue should be raised against the spec.
[1]
https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/CR_ARIA_1_1_0/aria/aria.html#aria-roledescription

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                 - C. Carter -