RE: aria-ISSUE-1028 (SeparatorNotWidget): Separator is a structure but the description says it can be interactive [ARIA 1.1]

From: Matt King [mailto:a11ythinker@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:42 PM

My minimum proposal is to get rid of the language that causes readers to falsely believe you could use separator as a splitter widget. Then, at least we can prevent incorrect use of a structural role.

Concretely, this would entail omission of the “moveable separator
between two regions in a split pane” example. It could be argued in any case that a moveable separator would need to be assigned a widget role and therefore is not a genuine instance of the separator structural role as presently defined.

While I think Matt’s proposal to introduce a new widget role for this purpose is reasonable, I agree with Rich that now is not the time for its introduction.

Thank you for your compliance.