Re: aria-ISSUE-1028 (SeparatorNotWidget): Separator is a structure but the description says it can be interactive [ARIA 1.1]

Hey Matt, all.

I'm not opposed to the addition of a "separator" role and the problem
you outline here does indeed sound like a problem. That said, to play
devil's advocate, do we need a new role to solve this?

If authors MUST make interactive separators keyboard focusable via
setting the tabindex, and the Core AAM maps focusable separators to each
platform's splitter role, then it should be operable with screen
readers. Furthermore, existing web apps which use role separator
combined with a tabindex could become screen-reader-operable without the
author having to change anything.

--joanie