W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-aria@w3.org > May 2016

meeting minutes: May 12, 2016 WAI-ARIA Working Group

From: Ku, Ja Eun <jku@illinois.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 18:04:13 +0000
CC: "'ARIA'" <public-aria@w3.org>
Message-ID: <2D6B6221-87B5-4871-AD51-6F10A038B903@illinois.edu>
https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html

Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference
12 May 2016

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-irc>

Attendees

Present
Joanmarie_Diggs, MichaelC, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, cyns, mattking, Janina, JF, Bryan_Garaventa, JamesNurthen
Regrets
MichielBijl
Chair
Rich
Scribe
jaeunJemma
Contents

  *   Topics<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   combo box<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#item01>
     *   chairing next week<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#item02>
     *   actioin item 1747<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#item03>
     *   action 2059<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#item04>
     *   action 2040<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#item05>
     *   Action 1624<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#item06>
     *   action 1560<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#item07>
     *   clean up open action items<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#item08>
  *   Summary of Action Items<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
  *   Summary of Resolutions<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

________________________________

<scribe> scribe:jaeunJemma

*thanks for your help joanie

<scribe> Chair:Rich_Schwerdtfeger

combo box

group is talking about combo box email correspondence

Rich: not sure what AT will implement

bryan: current implementation is working so worried about change in case it breaks something

mat: if we use "should" for conformance, it would work

rich: I prefer "should"
... does not like to put this in cfc again
... we can look into combo box now

<Rich> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#combobox


<Rich> The ARIA 1.0 specification describes a combobox pattern where a text input element has the combobox role and owns a listbox element. User agents and assistive technologies SHOULD continue to support the ARIA 1.0 pattern so that existing implementations of the ARIA 1.0 pattern remain functional.

matt: do we use the word, "conformance"?
... yes, we use it

rich: it is really conformance checker

<Rich> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#conformance_checkers


matt: joanie, will you change this?

joanie: I am changing it now

rich: I will create resolution
... it is "should', not "must"

<Rich> Group: Agrees to include conformance checkers as the list of technologies that SHOULD allow a role of combobox on an input type fo text.

<bgaraventa1979> +1

chairing next week

Rich: group have no objection for janina to chair the meting
... any progress for ARIA keyboard shortcut, matt?
... can it be done before memorial week?

matt: yes

actioin item 1747

<Rich> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-1743/aria/aria.html#aria-activedescendant


s/actionin/action

matt: first change is in definition itself
... second change is "author must" statement in third paragraph
... "Authors must ensure that one of the following two sets of conditions is met when setting the value of aria-activedescendant on an element with DOM focus:" with specific condition and examples

rich: is there a tree widget?
... is there a tree widget in Inherits into Roles?
... I am making sure about the section, "Inherits into Roles"

Cynthia: It looks more clear to me with bulleted list items

rich: any objections for Matt's proposal?

Jemma: no objection

<Rich> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-1743/aria/aria.html#application


<Rich> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-1743/aria/aria.html#aria-activedescendant


RESOLUTION: Accept Matt's revision for action 1743 covering changes to role=application details in the action

Cynthia: copied below statement should go to AAM

<Rich> Group agrees to remove thest statements: “Some user agents use aria-activedescendant to tell assistive technologies that the active descendant has focus. User agents are not expected to validate that the active descendant is a descendant of the focused container. “

<Rich> from aria-aria-activedescendant

<Rich> ACTION: Cynthia Add this statement to the Core-AAM: “User agents are not expected to validate that the active descendant is a descendant of the focused container. “ [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2065 - Add this statement to the core-aam: “user agents are not expected to validate that the active descendant is a descendant of the focused container. “ [on Cynthia Shelly - due 2016-05-19].

<Rich> action-2065?

<trackbot> action-2065 -- Cynthia Shelly to Add this statement to the core-aam: “user agents are not expected to validate that the active descendant is a descendant of the focused container. “ -- due 2016-05-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2065


Rich: will get out that for CFC

action 2059

https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2059


<Rich> https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2059


<joanie> action-2059

<trackbot> action-2059 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Add aria-posinset, aria-setsize as supported states and properties to roles: menutitem, menuitemcheckbox, and menuitemradio -- due 2016-05-05 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2059


<joanie> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-2059/aria/aria.html#aria-posinset


<joanie> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-2059/aria/aria.html#aria-setsize


<joanie> https://github.com/w3c/aria/commit/ec2dd6d0


Joanie: did not remove anything, added about posinset, setsize about menuitem

matt: we are going to ask user agent to do this?
... because user agents do this things differently
... this should be author statement

rich: it is more about mapping spec.

Joanie: matt raise a good point

<Rich> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/core-aam/core-aam.html#mapping_additional_position


joanie: grouping, not with the sense of aria "group" starts differently in some browsers

matt: can we create action for this item?

Joanie: I am happy to give consultation to Joseph if Joseph has this action item.

<Rich> ACTION: Joseph include spec. text in 5.6.4 for automatic computation of posinset and setsize for menuitems and their subclasses. [recorded inhttp://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2066 - Include spec. text in 5.6.4 for automatic computation of posinset and setsize for menuitems and their subclasses. [on Joseph Scheuhammer - due 2016-05-19].

<Rich> action-2066?

<trackbot> action-2066 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Include spec. text in 5.6.4 for automatic computation of posinset and setsize for menuitems and their subclasses. -- due 2016-05-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2066


Rich: any other changes to Joanie's proposal?

<Rich> * https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-2059/aria/aria.html#aria-posinset


<Rich> * https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/action-2059/aria/aria.html#aria-setsize


RESOLUTION: accept Joanie's proposal and send out cfc
... accept Joanie's proposal and send out cfc

rich: no objections to Michael' proposal, host language conflicts.

<Rich> https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/ACTION-1489/aria/aria.html#host_general_conflict


rich: 1489 resolved. michale, do we need add something more?

michale: it looks good enough
... do we need clarificaiton for dpub graphic roles?

rich: we don't talk about this in spec. so do we need it here?

michale: I would argue we may need that somewhere in spec.

<JF> +1 to M Cooper

michale: there may be a question about how dpub graphic role is related to aria in the future.

rich: we should just say "modular extention" in aria 1.1
... do you want me leave it open?

michale: it is done for now, I will just add it "modular extenion" here.

<Rich> https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/ARIAExtensions


rich: if you want to, you can also include the link to the modular extension.
... Michael will move to formal working draft.

jania: it would be nice to have it as agenda for next week meeting in regards to michale's work.

<Rich> RIch: I will add requirements to (action 1513) review of a public working draft next meeting

Next itme

Next item

<Rich> https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/648


<mck> action-2040?

<trackbot> action-2040 -- Michael Cooper to Modify section 7.4 to include role values as native host language semantics in paragraph 2 -- due 2016-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2040


action 2040

rich: can you look at this next week, Michale?

Michale: Yes

Action 1624

http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1624


<mck> action-1624?

<trackbot> action-1624 -- Michael Cooper to Work with shane to develop publication strategy and solution that would exclude abstract roles for authors -- due 2016-03-17 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1624


rich: do you think this is an issue in Microsoft?

cynthia: no

Rich: I don't think this is not important issue.

jn: I think it is..

rich: would rather to push to aria2.2

<JF> +1 to deferring to ARIA 2.0

<joanie> +1

rich: any objection for moving this to aria 2.0?

RESOLUTION: move action 1624 to ARIA 2.0

<Zakim> jamesnurthen, you wanted to say i think it is an issue

action 1560

action-1560

<trackbot> action-1560 -- Stefan Schnabel to Email list with discussion of on/off value labels (maybe valuetext?) and extending value descriptions to other controls -- due 2016-02-10 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1560


<Rich> ack

joanie: I would not like to repurpose this

matt: something like value description is similar role=description, it is not like aria described by like supplemental info.
... what is the scope of value description?

joanie: it is supposed to be bigger scope when we recollect the meeting at TPAC

<Zakim> joanie, you wanted to say that *how* we expose it is irrelevant to user agents having already implemented switch

rich: I think customizing widget things is more of ARIA 2

<mck> +1 for moving to 2.0

<joanie> +1

<Rich> +1

RESOLUTION: move action 1560 to ARIA 2.0

<Rich> Action-1560?

<trackbot> Action-1560 -- Stefan Schnabel to Email list with discussion of on/off value labels (maybe valuetext?) and extending value descriptions to other controls -- due 2016-02-10 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1560


clean up open action items

<mck> issue-619?

<trackbot> issue-619 -- ARIA 1.1 should disallow host languages from declaring @aria-label from being declared in direct semantic conflict with a host language attribute. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/619


rich: action 619 is closed and addressed with 1489

matt: this means anytime aria label present, you cannot override with alt or aria-labledby?

rich: yes

action - 648

<trackbot> Error finding '-'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/users>.

action-648

<trackbot> Sorry, but action-648 does not exist.

<mck> issue-695?

<trackbot> issue-695 -- Clean up nits in the ARIA specification -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/695


group is going over open action items now

<mck> issue-701?

<trackbot> issue-701 -- Modify aria-owns such that the idref order pertains to the order of the associated children -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/701


matt: I think we already did this work.

rich: I will make sure whether we did it one more time.

<Rich> http://rawgit.com/w3c/aria/master/aria/aria.html#aria-owns


rich: I don't see the change here.

matt: I remember it is written somewhere.

<jamesnurthen> it is missing what to do if you have both aria-owns and DOM children

<jamesnurthen> (and the aim is to combine them)

rich: who will take action on this?

<scribe> ACTION:James will try for next week [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action03]

<Rich> ACTION: jamesn write text to state the order of aria-owns ids wrt. the DOM child order and sequential aria-owns ids [recorded inhttp://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2067 - Write text to state the order of aria-owns ids wrt. the dom child order and sequential aria-owns ids [on James Nurthen - due 2016-05-19].

<Rich> Action-2067?

<trackbot> Action-2067 -- James Nurthen to Write text to state the order of aria-owns ids wrt. the dom child order and sequential aria-owns ids -- due 2016-05-19 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2067


joanie: do we really want to permit that?

jn: yes

<bgaraventa1979> +q

<jamesnurthen> I would also like to clarify whether child owned elements get pulled in via aria-owns

bryan: I am working this with client now

atcion-1006

action-1006

<trackbot> Sorry, but action-1006 does not exist.

<Rich> issue-1006?

<trackbot> issue-1006 -- The roles that include children presentational = true are not consistent -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/1006


<Rich> ACTION: Bryan address issue 1106 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-2068 - Address issue 1106 [on Bryan Garaventa - due 2016-05-19].

bryan will bring this to the meeting next week.

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Bryan address issue 1106 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Cynthia Add this statement to the Core-AAM: “User agents are not expected to validate that the active descendant is a descendant of the focused container. “ [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: James will try for next week [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: jamesn write text to state the order of aria-owns ids wrt. the DOM child order and sequential aria-owns ids [recorded inhttp://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Joseph include spec. text in 5.6.4 for automatic computation of posinset and setsize for menuitems and their subclasses. [recorded inhttp://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#action02]

Summary of Resolutions

  1.  Accept Matt's revision for action 1743 covering changes to role=application details in the action<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#resolution01>
  2.  accept Joanie's proposal and send out cfc<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#resolution02>
  3.  move action 1624 to ARIA 2.0<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#resolution03>
  4.  move action 1560 to ARIA 2.0<https://www.w3.org/2016/05/12-aria-minutes.html#resolution04>

[End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 12 May 2016 18:04:45 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 18:58:26 UTC