Re: The use of aria-readonly on contenteditable elements

From: Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 15:38:37 -0600
To: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>
Cc: Joanmarie Diggs <jdiggs@igalia.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
For what it's worth, the general HTML rules for interactive content within
an editable element seem rather unclear.

I couldn't find any rules in the HTML spec, but based on browser testing a
button still receives a click event, but a clicked link is not
followed  (same results in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge).  Demo in JSBin:
https://output.jsbin.com/rakakokako

However, you are certainly correct that visual users get all the other
semantic hints (layout, font, size, color) of the markup, regardless of
it's editable state.