Re: aria-action2036 aria-keyshortcuts (IBM i18N review)

> On Mar 15, 2016, at 9:24 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Attached is the first set of comments by the IBM i18N team. Hopefully W3C will take a document file for the links but I included the text. I did not want to lose the links.
> Comment:
>
> In the above para: … “Authors SHOULD avoid keys other than ASCII letters” is mentioned.
>
> There are several keyboard layouts, especially those using non-Latin alphabet, where the character set to be used in a specific language does not include any of the set of ‘ASCII letters’.  (Also the statement (elsewhere) about ‘upper case and lower case are equivalent’ will not be applicable to ‘unicameral’ scripts/languages.)
>
> For example: http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/topics/keyboards/registry_index.html <http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/topics/keyboards/registry_index.html> lists several layouts used with different languages/regions.  Most of the non-Latin keyboard layouts are ‘bi-lingual’ in the sense that the keyboards have two halves one for Latin and one for non-Latin layout usage.  Switching between these two halves is usually accomplished by Alt+RightShift or Alt+LeftShift key combinations in a ‘locking shifting mode’.  Once in the specific layout – such as for the Devanagari layout (in Layout 468 - ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/globalization/keyboards/KBD468.pdf <ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/globalization/keyboards/KBD468.pdf>) the character set that is available need not be any of the Latin characters.

My understanding is that these other keyboard layouts still trigger ASCII on the meta plane. For example, in the Devanagari keyboard mentioned, pressing "Meta+Alt+ह" (on OS X, "Command+Option+ह") is the same as pressing "Alt+u" (on OS X, "Option+u") on a US layout. We recommended ASCII because it's the only set that *can* be generated by all keyboard types, including non-Western layouts like Devanagari.

This is how it works on OS X. Windows or Linux may be different.

James