Re: Conflicting inclusion/exclusion criteria for elements in the accessibility tree (Was: Re: [ARIA] Agenda: March 3, 2016 WAI-ARIA Working Group)

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 14:24:00 -0400
To: Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com>
Cc: "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org>, Fred Esch <fesch@us.ibm.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com>
Bryan, Amelia,

On 2016-03-15 2:10 PM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds wrote:
> In that case, I think the author has written a very broken website.

I take it that in the case I outlined, that aria-hidden is being used
poorly?  Or perhaps the combination of aria-hidden/tabindex="-1".  "On
the assumption the user can see it ..." and it is actually functional,
then marking aria-hidden AND tabindex="-1" is a bad idea.

BTW, all I was doing was using the use case from the HTML spec I cited
earlier, where it says ignoring negative tabindex is okay in certain
cases.  I didn't see how adding aria-hidden changed that use case.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Drau├čen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -