Re: aria-action2036 aria-keyshortcuts

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:54:42 -0400
To: Rich Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com>, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com>, ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru>, "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org>
On 2016-03-15 10:23 AM, Rich Schwerdtfeger wrote:
>> Keyboard shortcuts become unavailable all the time. For example, the
>> "Send" shortcut in a mail application is only available when there is
>> a draft message to send and only when it's the front-most window.
>> Having contextual keyboard shortcuts is a common pattern that does
>> not need to be addressed in the ARIA spec.
>>
> Previously, this was not an issue because when the keyboardshortcut
> was hidden it was not active. Now Jason has asked for the keyboard
> shortcut to be applicable anywhere. He wants to mandate that these be
> available globally. If we are to relax that restriction then I agree
> that we don’t need this statement.

The case that James is referring to (I think) is where a UI widget is
disabled, but not hidden.  Continuing with his email example, there may
be a tool bar button named "Send", that is enabled when the user is
drafting a message, and disabled when the user is not. Since the button
is disabled, the keyboard shortcut is non-functional.  Nonetheless, the
"Send" tool bar button is visible at all times.

This points to some interaction between aria-disabled and
aria-keyshorcuts, but it's fairly straight forward, since this sort of
interaction is common on the desktop.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -