Re: [REVIEW REQUESTED] Rewrite of the text role

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 2:18 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> roledescription is new for ARIA 1.1 and so the ATs really have not used it yet.

It landed in WebKit not long after the feature went into the 1.1 spec. It works at least two releases of both iOS and macOS.

You can try it out on the "arrow" within this bitmap SVG.
http://cookiecrook.com/longdesc/svg_bitmap/

> That said we can work with them to ensure that they don’t say anything.
>
> net net. That should be doable. It is a great suggestion by Jason and it would avoid having another role.

I consider an empty @aria-roledescription more of a temporary workaround than a long term solution. It suffices to postpone the other role discussion, but it's be ill advised to promote that technique as a recommended authoring practice.

James