[aapi] Minutes: UAI TF Meeting Tue Jan 26, 2016

Link: https://www.w3.org/2016/01/26-aapi-minutes.html

Plain text follows.


      [1] http://www.w3.org/

   Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference

26 Jan 2016

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2016/01/26-aapi-irc


          Joseph_Scheuhammer, Joanmarie_Diggs, Rich_Schwerdtfeger,




     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]ACTION-1667 (All)
         2. [5]ACTION-1531 (All) Bolter to investigate ia2 mapping
            of role="text"
         3. [6]ACTION-1535 (Joseph/James) AXAPI mappings for
            aria-current (notifications).
         4. [7]ACTION-1569/1585 (Joseph/Cynthia/Jason) Add to
            section on AAPI differences highlighting the features
            of UIA.
         5. [8]ACTION-1593 (Cynthia) Compare implementations of
            AAPI managed states and look for gaps.
         6. [9]Question: need mapping entry for default value of
         7. [10]ACTION-1691: (Joseph/Cynthia) Propose UIA mapping
            for aria-errormessage.
         8. [11]Triage:
     * [12]Summary of Action Items
     * [13]Summary of Resolutions

   <clown> agenda: this

   <clown> [14]https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/products/26

     [14] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/products/26

   <scribe> scribe: joanie

ACTION-1667 (All)

   <clown> action-1667?

   <trackbot> action-1667 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Update the
   mapping spec for aria role region to reflect its landmark
   inheritance as defined in the aria 1.1 spec. -- due 2015-07-06

   <trackbot> [15]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1667

     [15] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1667

   JS: I did this action a long time ago.



   JS: This was needed because we changed the spec so that role
   region now inherits from landmark.
   ... You'll notice a lot of "TBD" instances in the table.
   ... ATK is mapped to ROLE_LANDMARK with an object attribute of
   "xml-roles:region" as per Joanie.

   CS: If you assign an action to me, I'll get you the mapping for

   RS: What does Surkov want for the base role?

   JS: You (Rich) have an action somewhere to contact Surkov.
   ... I think you may have done this action already. But I don't
   recall the outcome.

   RS: I'll write Surkov.

   JS: I'm assigning action-1667 to Cynthia.
   ... When she is done, she can re-assign it back to me.

   RS: Email sent, and ARIA list copied.

ACTION-1531 (All) Bolter to investigate ia2 mapping of role="text"

   <clown> action-1531?

   <trackbot> action-1531 -- David Bolter to Bolter to investigate
   ia2 mapping of role="text" -- due 2014-11-18 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1531

     [17] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1531

   JS: I made notes in the action.
   ... I sent email to Jamie on the list to ask if he really wants


     [18] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2016Jan/0101.html

   JS: Jamie replied that it was "controversial," but that he did
   think he wanted that mapping.
   ... Jamie also clarified that ROLE_TEXTFRAME is not necessarily
   a block element.
   ... There's an inline property.
   ... Jamie still prefers the statictext role.
   ... I've since pinged Surkov to see what he thinks.

   RS: If Surkov is around, I can ask him now.

ACTION-1535 (Joseph/James) AXAPI mappings for aria-current

   <clown> action-1535?

   <trackbot> action-1535 -- James Craig to Investigate the axapi
   mappings for aria-current. -- due 2015-08-18 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [19]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1535

     [19] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1535

   <clown> [20]https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=146012#c21

     [20] https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=146012#c21

   JS: I asked on the WebKit bug if, when you change aria-current,
   does it spawn a notification in WebKit and what is the correct
   ... The response (at the URL above) is no notification.
   ... I suspect Joanie will want a real notification.

   JD: Yes.



   JD: These things (my platform and the Mac) are independent
   (even in WebKit). So it's no problem.

   JS: I would like to close this action (1535). Objections?

   RS: Closing it is fine with me.

   RESOLUTION: Close action-1535 as complete.

   <clown> close action-1535

   <trackbot> Closed action-1535.

ACTION-1569/1585 (Joseph/Cynthia/Jason) Add to section on AAPI
differences highlighting the features of UIA.

   <clown> action-1569?

   <trackbot> action-1569 -- Jason Kiss to Create a section that
   describes AAPI differences -- due 2015-03-03 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1569

     [22] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1569

   <clown> action-1585?

   <trackbot> action-1585 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Add to the
   section on differences among aapis highlighting the features of
   uia. -- due 2016-01-15 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [23]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1585

     [23] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1585

   JS: There are two actions involved here.



   JS: Jason Kiss a long time ago wrote a section to add to the
   Core mapping spec comparing accessibility APIs.
   ... It's at the above link.
   ... Cynthia wanted to call out differences that might be
   important to point out regarding UIA.
   ... She provided me with the text.


     [25] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2016Jan/0069.html

   JS: Cynthia's text is at the above URL.


     [26] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-aria/2016Jan/0119.html

   JS: I've sent email to Jason (see above URL).
   ... I've indicated that I would like to combine his text with

   <clown> action-2008?

   <trackbot> action-2008 -- Cynthia Shelly to Handle concept of
   description property for UIA -- due 2016-02-01 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [27]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2008

     [27] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/2008

   JS: His text has an indicated he had questions and opened
   action-2008 for it.

   CS: Please change the due date to March 1st.

ACTION-1593 (Cynthia) Compare implementations of AAPI managed states
and look for gaps.

   <clown> action-1593

   <trackbot> action-1593 -- Cynthia Shelly to Compare
   implementations of AAPI managed states and look for gaps. --
   due 2016-01-08 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [28]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1593

     [28] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1593

   CS: I've started it, but need more time. Another week should be

Question: need mapping entry for default value of aria-current?

   JS: aria-current mappings for undefined.



   RS: You mean if it's not defined?

   JS: Yes.
   ... The URL above is wrong.



   JS: I was going to delete this table (above URL) because
   everyone was saying "not mapped"
   ... The AX API mappings and their test case indicate that they
   are setting AXAriaCurrent to false.
   ... This is what they are doing even when the property is

   RS: If it's false it doesn't really matter.

   JS: Agreed. False and not being there are pretty equivalent.
   ... I don't recall why UIA wanted it not mapped.

   CS: ARIA properties is just a string. So if the property is
   absent from the element, we don't really have any place to put
   ... And including a default value for every single possible
   aria property wouldn't make sense.

   JS: What about ATK?

   JD: Well, the reason I suggested that during out conversation
   earlier is that if something had aria-current set and then
   aria-current became undefined, it is expected that the user
   agent would clear the state active and emit a notification.
   ... That said, this is not a big deal. And if the user agents
   keep STATE_ACTIVE on accessible objects which are no longer
   current, it's a bug.
   ... In other words, I think this is common sense.

   RS: So the answer for ATK is "not mapped"

   JD: Sure, that's fine.

ACTION-1691: (Joseph/Cynthia) Propose UIA mapping for

   <clown> action-1691

   <trackbot> action-1691 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Propose UIA
   mapping for aria-errormessage. -- due 2015-12-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1691

     [31] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1691

   <clown> [32]https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1691

     [32] https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1691

   JS: Cynthia supplied the mapping for aria-errormessage earlier
   ... It's at the above URI (ControllerFor relationship).

   RS: I'm just wondering if you might want to use describedby and
   put something else on it to indicate it was an error message.

   CS: I thought that the target of that would have a role of

   RS: That's rendundant insofar as the ARIA spec is concerned.
   ... But at the platform level, you could do something to make
   it clear it's an error message.

   CS: ControllerFor you can have multiple targets.
   ... We use this for autocomplete too.


     [33] http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#aria-errormessage

   CS: It's a general "this thing is part of me, but not
   necessarily a child".

   RS: How would you know it's a error message with ControllerFor?

   CS: I was thinking/hoping we would have an error role.

   JS: Was that for ARIA or just UIA?

   CS: (ARIA)
   ... I asked for a label role in the past.

   JS and RS: We ditched that.

   JS: ATK has a label role.

   RS: Open an issue for an error role.

   CS: Having roles for errormessage and labels makes the code
   more readible and the mapping easier.

   RS: What if it is pointing to details?

   CS: I think that's unlikely.
   ... And I would put a container around it.

   <cyns> ISSUE: Add and error role

   <trackbot> Created ISSUE-1010 - Add and error role. Please
   complete additional details at

     [34] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/1010/edit

   CS: I don't think we need a role for extended description.


     [35] http://w3c.github.io/aria/aria/aria.html#aria-errormessage

   RS: I'll propose a relationship for extended description.

   <clown> issue-1010

   <trackbot> issue-1010 -- Add an error role -- open

   <trackbot> [36]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/1010

     [36] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/issues/1010

   CS: If I don't have an equivalent relationship on my platform,
   I will likely map it to ControllerFor.
   ... And adding relations is harder than adding control types.

Triage: [37]https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/products/23

     [37] https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/products/23


   <trackbot> action-1625 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Add interactive
   property to core mappings that propogates from grid or table to
   all grid aria grid or table structural elements. the
   interactive property should have same mapping as defined in
   issue 633 -- due 2015-09-08 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [38]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1625

     [38] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1625

   JS: This is one of mine.
   ... I've been putting it off because I think that this
   interactive property will not make it into ARIA 1.1.

   RS: Correct, it didn't make it into ARIA 1.1.
   ... Move your action to ARIA 2.

   JS: Issue 633 was a PF issue and it's now closed.

   RS: The reason we moved this issue to ARIA 2 is custom widgets,
   the need for new platform API, etc.

   JS: Action 1625 is now associated with ARIA 2.

   RS: (Reads from action)

   JS: It's unfortunate that Issue 633 is gone because we need to
   refer to that text in order to address the action.


   <trackbot> action-1661 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Propose uia
   express and uia mappings for aria-roledescription. -- due
   2015-12-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [39]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1661

     [39] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1661

   JS: This is another action for me.
   ... This is assigned to me because Cynthia has already provided
   the mapping for her platform.



   JS: The URL above is for roledescription.
   ... Is the text right for UIA, Cynthia?

   CS: Yes, that is correct.

   RESOLUTION: Close action 1661 as complete.

   <clown> close action-1661

   <trackbot> Closed action-1661.


   <trackbot> action-1692 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Propose ATK/AT-SPI
   mapping for aria-errormessage -- due 2015-08-04 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [41]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1692

     [41] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1692

   JS: Reminder to Joanie to do this.

   JD: I haven't done this yet.
   ... I have an idea of how to solve it and we discussed it last
   week, I think.

   JS: It's not in the action, but I think it was to use

   JD: Correct.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

    1. [42]Close action-1535 as complete.
    2. [43]Close action 1661 as complete.

   [End of minutes]

Received on Tuesday, 26 January 2016 21:07:16 UTC