Re: [RFC] Making default spinbutton values more consistent with the defaults for HTML5's input type="number"

On 2016-01-17 7:53 PM, James Teh wrote:
> Hi Joanie,
>
> On 15/01/2016 5:16 AM, Joanmarie Diggs wrote:
>> One possibility which was suggested is that ARIA use "-1" as the value
>> of the attributes which are missing or not a number.
> My major concern with this is that -1 could be a real value. Is there
> anything that states that the values can't be negative? What if
> someone specified a minimum of (literally) -1 and a maximum of 1? We
> wouldn't want that minimum to be interpreted as "unknown". Am I
> missing something here?

I should have picked up on this earlier:  aria-valuenow, aria-valuemin,
and aria-valuemax are all of type "decimal number", meaning they can be
positive, negative, or zero.  Using a special case of -1 to denote
"unknown" or "open-ended" is a non-starter. The idea of using -1 came
from its use with aria-setsize to indicate an unknown size.  But, there,
a set size cannot be negative.

So, using "-1" as a special value for aria-value* is not going to work.

>> My questions are:
>>
>> 1. Will that pose any problems for any ATs or platform APIs?
> Probably nothing that can't be addressed in the platform mapping
> guidelines. In IAccessible2, IAccessibleValue's methods should return
> an empty value (not -1) if there is nothing to return. So, the mapping
> to IA2 would need to account for this. NVDA actually only uses
> aria-valuetext at the moment, so any implementation we do could
> account for this change.
>
>> 2. For aria-valuenow, would it make more sense to set the value to the
>>     empty string if it is missing or not a number?
> IMO, this makes more sense for all three.

Makes sense.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Array(16).join("wat" - 1) + " Batman!"'
            - G. Bernhardt -