From: Joseph Scheuhammer [mailto:clown@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Donnerstag, 11. Februar 2016 16:52
To: Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>; tink@tink.uk; 'Richard Schwerdtfeger' <richschwer@gmail.com>; 'Gunderson, Jon R' <jongund@illinois.edu>
Cc: 'Matt King' <a11ythinker@gmail.com>; 'James Nurthen' <james.nurthen@oracle.com>; public-aria@w3.org
Subject: Re: APG Landmark Design Pattern Update and Questions related to Banner and Contenting landmarks

On 2016-02-10 4:50 PM, Cynthia Shelly wrote:
> One approach I’ve used successfully with long-term Windows users is to
> say that Landmarks are the F6-loop. In classic Windows apps, you can
> use the F6 key to jump to big “chunks” of an application, like the
> toolbar, content area, and taskpane (stuff on the right). Landmarks
> serve the same purpose. Is there something similar on other operating
> systems?

For Mac OS X, AFAICT, there are separate keystrokes for putting focus on
major parts of an application:  one for moving focus to the menubar,
another to move to the toolbar, another to move to the Dock.  There is
not one keystroke to cycle through them.  There is a keystroke for
cycling through the windows associated with the active application, and
another for cycling through running applications.

Within Thunderbird, when composing an email, F6 cycles through the
address block, the subject edit field, the formatting toolbar, the body
of the email, and then back to the address block.  But, I think that's a
feature of Thunderbird, not the Mac OS.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -