RE: APG Landmark Design Pattern Update and Questions related to Banner and Contenting landmarks

Cynthia, that’s exactly what I’ve suggested as an option for one way browsers could treat level 0 landmarks. It could be awesome for kb only users … asuming there were options for visuals to go along with it and that orphaned content blocks were included in the loop. It would extend the value of basic landmarks to everyone and give developers a built-in way to see their landmarks come alive.

I’ve only used the command line in Linux so don’t know if it has an equivalent to the F6 loop. I haven’t seen anything like in OS 10. Even though OS10 has oodles of keyboard commands, it still seems to assume that you use a mouse … or you use VoiceOver keyboard commands as a mouse replacement, perhaps with the voice turned off.

Matt

From: Cynthia Shelly [mailto:cyns@microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 1:51 PM
To: tink@tink.uk; 'Richard Schwerdtfeger' <richschwer@gmail.com>; 'Gunderson, Jon R' <jongund@illinois.edu>
Cc: 'Matt King' <a11ythinker@gmail.com>; 'James Nurthen' <james.nurthen@oracle.com>; public-aria@w3.org
Subject: RE: APG Landmark Design Pattern Update and Questions related to Banner and Contenting landmarks

One approach I’ve used successfully with long-term Windows users is to say that Landmarks are the F6-loop. In classic Windows apps, you can use the F6 key to jump to big “chunks” of an application, like the toolbar, content area, and taskpane (stuff on the right). Landmarks serve the same purpose. Is there something similar on other operating systems?

I also say that “main” is a skip link.