Re: ACTION-1490 Updated combobox branch based on Feb 4 ARIA caucus discussion

On 2016-02-05 7:18 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:
> So, isn’t the value simply exposed through the accessibility api? Do
> you need a value? I am pretty sure the contents of the input field are
> exposed.

I *think* Bryan is pointing out that if the author makes a combobox out
of a set of spans, they don't get the automatic benefit of the @value
attribute that comes with an <input tye="text">.  The input's @value is
mapped to the "value" property of the accessible, and will fire
value-changed events in the AAPI.  There is nothing in Bryan's example
that corresponds to the <input>; hence there is no "value" in the AAPI:

> role="combobox" aria-expanded="false" aria-activedescendant=""
> aria-autocomplete="list" aria-readonly="true">
> <sup id="arrowSymbolId" aria-hidden="true">?</sup>

However, I'm not sure that the above actually qualifies as a combobox,
since I can't see anywhere for a user to enter text. Maybe it's in the
presumed script or css that accompanies the markup?

Something like the following is needed.  I don't remotely propose this
markup is a good design; I'm sticking with Bryan's basic construct to
show how a text entry could be added.

role="combobox" aria-expanded="false" aria-activedescendant=""
aria-autocomplete="list" aria-readonly="true">
     // Custom text entry field here:
     <sup id="arrowSymbolId" aria-hidden="true">?</sup>

In that case, the textbox would provide the value of the combobox, here
"French".  It would show up as such in the AAPI, with the relevant
value-changed events.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Draußen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -