Re: Why is aria-expanded invalid with a checkbox?

From: Joseph Scheuhammer <clown@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 09:42:17 -0500
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>, Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>, "'Richard Schwerdtfeger'" <richschwer@gmail.com>
Cc: "'Stefan Schnabel'" <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>, "'Birkir Gunnarsson'" <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com>, "'James Nurthen'" <james.nurthen@oracle.com>, "public-aria@w3.org" <public-aria@w3.org>
On 2016-02-04 2:08 PM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:
> Actually I have punctuation set to 'none' using JAWS because I don't see the point of hearing every form of punctuation in everything I read, so an ... literally makes no sound at all:)

What about the one you typed in the last sentence?  :-)  For that
matter, what about smiley I just typed?  After all, it's three
punctuation marks.

> This is the danger of relying on punctuation to convey meaning.

Indeed.  This is analogous to relying on a downward pointing triangle or
arrow to indicate a button will invoke a popup; hence, aria-haspopup.
Instead of relying on the ellipsis visual cue, it sounds like there is
is a need for something like "aria-more" to indicate more information
will be requested from the user. Something for ARIA 2.0.

--
;;;;joseph.

'Die Wahrheit ist Irgendwo da Drau├čen. Wieder.'
                  - C. Carter -