From: James Nurthen [mailto:james.nurthen@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 10:24 AM
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@ssbbartgroup.com>; Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com>
Cc: Stefan Schnabel <stefan.schnabel@sap.com>; Birkir Gunnarsson <birkir.gunnarsson@deque.com>; public-aria@w3.org
Subject: Re: Why is aria-expanded invalid with a checkbox?

Unless you are warned in advance that it is going to happen IMO this is a WCAG failure under 3.2.2

Regards,
James
On 2/3/2016 10:22 AM, Bryan Garaventa wrote:

That sounds fine for a custom design.

I do wish to point out that the checkbox triggers dialog is a common paradigm that has been around for many years however

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=checkbox+that+opens+dialog&oq=checkbox+that+opens+dialog&gs_l=hp.3..33i21l2.3206.11374.0.11736.33.30.2.1.1.0.198.3257.9j21.30.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..0.23.2607.0.rr7M8kdIOdY

So it would be nice if we could all agree on a specific design pattern for dealing with this.