Re: Proposal and Justification for ARIA 1.2 (Was: text role removal)

> On Aug 11, 2016, at 9:17 AM, Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks James & Jason for the feedback on moving the (graphics-)text role into the Graphics Module.
>
> Given how much discussion of the topic has already occurred, I'd want a proper resolution from the ARIA WG before making edits to the spec.  In particular, we'd need confirmation that the working group:
> supports a graphics-text role, that can be used for both graphical objects representing text and for text-container elements where the plain character data doesn't accurately represent the meaning.
Joanie may have another name suggestion than "graphics-text" since she objected to primarily to the "text" moniker.
> supports using text as a synonym to graphics-text, for web compatibility.  The WG would need to decide whether support for the synonym would be mandatory or optional.  If it's optional, we'd need to recommend people use role="graphics-text text img" for now (and I'm not even sure that would have good support!).
Again, I don't think that's necessary to suggest the "text" alias. Author suggestion can be limited to role="graphics-text img"

> This would also be a good time to mention any other conditions or restrictions (from previous drafts of the text role prose) you think should be included.

Joanie wrote the best draft, so she can point you to the latest iteration.