Re: Proposal and Justification for ARIA 1.2 (Was: text role removal)

Thanks James & Jason for the feedback on moving the (graphics-)text role
into the Graphics Module.

Given how much discussion of the topic has already occurred, I'd want a
proper resolution from the ARIA WG before making edits to the spec.  In
particular, we'd need confirmation that the working group:

   - supports a graphics-text role, that can be used for both graphical
   objects representing text and for text-container elements where the plain
   character data doesn't accurately represent the meaning.

   - supports using text as a synonym to graphics-text, for web
   compatibility.  The WG would need to decide whether support for the synonym
   would be mandatory or optional.  If it's optional, we'd need to recommend
   people use role="graphics-text text img" for now (and I'm not even sure
   that would have good support!).

This would also be a good time to mention any other conditions or
restrictions (from previous drafts of the text role prose) you think should
be included.

Best,
~Amelia