RE: Password role proposal: Freedom Scientific response

From: White, Jason J [mailto:jjwhite@ets.org]
Sent: 25 April 2016 20:03

From: Léonie Watson [mailto:tink@tink.uk]
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 12:47 PM

We do, yes. In this case I think walking means we need to drop the password role from 1.1, and take more time to try and get buy in from implementors.

A less drastic alternative would be to mark it as a feature at risk, but still take it to Candidate Recommendation to determine whether we can achieve correct and interoperable implementations. Before doing this, I would suggest checking with the W3C staff contact for the working group regarding the procedural details; but I think giving it a chance to be implemented in CR would be a better course of action than dropping a well specified proposal.

That’s more or less what’s happening I think. The feature has been marked as at risk/under review in the spec, pending implementations and the Security IG review.

It does raise a question about the ARIA exit criteria though. By the looks of things, the ARIA 1.0 exit criteria [1] only required interoperability at the accessibility API/browser level, not at the AT/screen reader level.

Léonie.

--

@LeonieWatson tink.uk Carpe diem

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/2011/CR-wai-aria-20110118/#sotd_exit