From: Joanmarie Diggs [mailto:jdiggs@igalia.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:48 AM
To: James Teh <jamie@nvaccess.org>
Cc: IA2 List <Accessibility-ia2@lists.linux-foundation.org>; ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [Accessibility-ia2] Mapping of aria-errormessage for ATK/AT-SPI2 and IA2

Hey Jamie, all.

FWIW, I had proposed exposing it via the existing description-related relationships plus an object attribute:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/accessibility-ia2/2016-February/002001.html

And I indicated that I didn't have strong feelings either way about whether or not the description was included as part of the alternative text calculation:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/accessibility-ia2/2016-February/002011.html

In other words, I personally do not see it as fundamentally different.
Mind you, knowing that something is an error message might prove handy, hence my suggestion of an object attribute on the element that contains the error message.

I don't like to take performance hits any more than you do. If you feel like this approach will result in a performance hit, then we should rethink things.

All of that said.... Where I myself am is that we need to map this new ARIA feature. And we're trying to get ARIA 1.1 locked down. Given that, along with the fact that it is seen as desirable that we keep our platforms aligned whenever possible, what I want is *some* mapping. :) I tossed out the new relation type because I got the impression that my original proposal was not seen as acceptable, and because you suggested a new relation type:
https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/accessibility-ia2/2016-February/002019.html

--joanie