Re: Proposal to add ARCHON Number as a Wikidata property -- and a thought about ISCI

I confess that I haven’t been following the full thread--I’m minimally informed about schema.org stuff and don’t feel I can intelligently contribute. The discussion of ISILs has caught my attention, however.

Another existing ISO standard is ISCI – Intl Standard Collection Number – was published in 2012. As far as I could determine in the ensuing several years, it received close to zero uptake, but I’ve always felt it has enormous potential for archival materials. ISCIs are intended to be universally unique, like other identifiers. Given that many archival descriptions are exposed via multiple metadata records (e.g. MARC, local EAD, EAD sent to multiple aggregators, item records linked to parent EADs), ISCI could serve the purpose that standard numbers for other types of material do to cement the fact that they all refer to the same archival entity.

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:27730:ed-1:v1:en

Am I correct in thinking that in the Archon context an ISIL would be assigned to the institution holding the archival material, but not the collection itself? ISCI would serve the latter purpose perfectly. It’s not 100% clear to me whether the Archon examples below are showing a collection-specific ID added to an ISIL.

Apologies for not getting fully up to speed before raising this—Jackie

--
Jackie Dooley

Program Officer, OCLC Research

647 Camino de los Mares, Suite 108-240