Re: [AR Standards Discussion] The Augmented Web

Hi Rob!

Adding to this and the question Christine had with regards to ARML 2.0:

I'm actually not quite sure why you "don't see any relevance for that".
Could you share your thoughts on that? I mean, as the ARML 2.0 spec is
not published yet, it's fair enough (and actually the only way) for you
to develop your own thing, and I'm certainly not arguing about this. But
I don't really see why you would not even consider it afterwards, given
your opinion that you don't see any relevance in it.

I mean, more specificly my question is actually "Are you lined up with
what we are doing in the ARML 2.0 SWG?"

I know you have had (and you probably still have) issues and worries
that - as this is developed within the OGC - it's just location based,
and it's all Wikitude.
Simple answer to that (and I keep saying that over and over again) is
that it's not. We focus more on generic tracking (supporting any kind of
tracking algorithms in a very generic way), relative positioning, 3D and
infrastructure models, level of detail etc. rather than the (already
pretty well GML-defined) location-based geometries. We also work on
having a descriptive and a scripting part of the language, similar to
how HTML and ECMAScript/JavaScript work together as seperate, yet
cooperating specs.
We've also grown from 5 founding members to 47 working, advising and
observing members of the group, including big companies like Google,
Hyundai, Hitachi, but also universities like Blair's group from Georgia
Tech, and the like.

Based on the ARML 2.0 group's feedback, I'd also be keen on sharing more
information on the current status of the DOM, so everyone on the list
has an idea on where we stand right now. Of course, only if this group
actually thinks it's relevant ;-)

That's just my though on this, I feel we keep reiterating a little :-)
I'd be keen on learning more on why you see it that polarized, 'cause I
think from what I've heard that theAWEsomeWEB idea could align quite
nicely with ARML 2.0.

Thanks Rob, have a good weekend, and say hello to Australia from me,
it's been since I've last visited - need to get back there somewhen ;-)

Best,
Martin

- - -
Martin Lechner