Re: Proposal for a way to avoid a round-trip on every POST when dealing with large numbers of URIs

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Problem: Some HTTP-based protocols, like AtomPub, require the use of a
> large number of distinct URIs. For example, adding a tag or category to a
> series of posts on a blog using AtomPub requires one non-GET request per
> blog post. While this is prohibitively expensive anyway when done from a
> high-latency network like GSM or EDGE, it is still somewhat painful to
> require two round trips per non-GET request in cases like this even on
> low-latency high-bandwidth connections, and therefore deserves further
> consideration.
>
> Proposed Solution: The proposed solution allows one new optional header
> for OPTIONS responses. The header contains a path.

This proposal effectively addresses the performance & server side
scalability concerns I had with the cross-domain access control mechanism.

Thanks,
John Panzer
Tech Lead/Manager, Google (Blogger, OpenSocial, & Friends)