RE: P3P - Feedback on Access Control

From: Close, Tyler J. <tyler.close@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:37:28 +0000
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> * per-resource OPTIONS requests are too chatty, don't scale to large
> numbers of resources, eventually causing developers to come up with
> workarounds such as boxcarring messages

I think Mark raises an important point here. Anne's response that the authorization request can be cached does not mitigate this performance problem, since the application may only issue a single request to a series of distinct resources. Consequently, this performance issue discourages application of the webarch principle which encourages use of distinct URIs for distinct resources. The WG's current proposal adds a network round-trip for each distinct URI in a web application.

For tracker, I think this point should be discussed when considering ISSUE-20:

http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/waf/issues/20

--Tyler