Re: <form> POST versus Access Control POST

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:31:29 -0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> tlr has some doubts whether the distinction between <form> POST and
> Access Control POST is sufficient enough to give Access Control POST a
> preflight OPTIONS as it might led authors to think that they are
> protected against cross-site POST requests while in reality, if they
> don't do careful checking of the Content-Type header or require some
> kind of magic string previously obtained using a normal GET request,
> they are not.
>
> We earlier decided to let authors perform the additional check and
> require the preflight OPTIONS so I'll leave the specification as is
> unless people start changing their minds...

The specific attack I was worried about was SOAP service providers.
These work by accepting XML data through POSTs and and can perform
potentially dangerous operations.

While it is currently possible to use <form>s to send POST requests to
such servers, it is not possible to send them using a proper XML content
type. Hopefully servers will not successfully parse the data without a
proper content type.

/ Jonas