Re: Access-Control: Proposed restructuring

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 21:51:21 +0000
To: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "WAF WG (public)" <public-appformats@w3.org>

David Orchard wrote:

> Well, what I meant was that I don't know what down to earth means in
> this context, namely for writing a spec.  Down to earth applied to a
> policy language specification is absurd.  We need a language that is
> unambigous and clear to get to interoperable implementations.

FWIW I found Ian's use of English prose in the HTML 5 parsing spec to be
clear and helpful in producing an implementation. There are now multiple
implementations of that spec which are believed to have good
interoperability (they all pass a common test suite of moderate size).

I have not reviewed the relevant section of the Access Control spec in
enough detail to know whether it is currently as clear as HTML 5, but I
see no reason /in principle/ why it could not be made clear enough to
produce multiple interoperable implementations.