Re: XBL2 underspecified

aloha, ian!

thanks for the reply -- as for my fingertips' choice of words,
i can only say that "underspecified" wasn't the right word to
describe the primer -- the context in which my minuted comments
were made was others' speculation as to whether XBL would be
implemented by a critical mass...  as i indicated in my previous
reply, i am a firm believer that a quality primer can be of
inestimable assistance in not only accelerating adaptation of a
technical recommendation, but as an aid to those seeking to understand
a technology that is new or unfamiliar to them, or those who don't
have a technical grounding, but do have sway over the allotment
of developmental dollars...  so, my comments were really in regards
the necessity of those with pertinent experience contributing to the
XBL2 primer, as a means of providing guidance (and, optimally, early
adaptation) for those tasked with implementing the technology...

the move towards developing primers and best practice and techniques
documents is a welcome trend in W3C working groups, as it enables a
deeper, more nuanced explication of the interaction between the
technical recommendation and its "correct" slash "conformant"
implementation, leading to better implementations not only of the
primary technology, but third party assistive technologies that enable
certain user groups to interact with and process the primary
technology...

and, so, now you know why i tend NOT to minute my own comments when
i'm minuting a meeting, especially in "real time" via IRC -- i just
hope that my written communications are clearer than the record i
leave of my oral communications...  (hmm, perhaps that's too tempting
a question to pose in an open forum!)

gregory.

  "Kill the rattlesnake that gives no warning; spare the one that
   does."                                    -- Lenni Lenape proverb
                Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
  Camera Obscura:           http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/index.html
  Oedipus' Online Complex:  http://my.opera.com/oedipus/
  UBATS - United Blind Advocates for Talking Signs: http://ubats.org