Re: Widgets on low memory devices

Grassel,

I currently have the system implemented as a single html file per packed
widget with a DIV for each view. There are two "magic" DIV IDs, one for
minimized and one for maximized and ideally I'd like to have 10 widgets
available for a user on their "widget desktop".

In my browser, and I *think* most browsers, when the widget html is loaded
the complete DOM is in memory including all scripts even if the visual
representation is not. Note that my platform is featurephone (>1MB memory)
not smartphone.

Essentially I'd like to support two kinds of widget:

a) Widgets which can show dynamic information when minimized, e.g. a
newsreader widget which displays a count of new articles, or for a weather
widget just a summary for today. The widget then shows more detail when
maximized, e.g. the complete article or the week's forecast.

b) Widgets which has a just an icon when minimized, but a resource-intensive
maximized view - for example a PacMan game widget.

..as you can imagine, the issue is that the complicated maximized views and
their scripts are in-memory even when not displayed.

The idea of just using an icon (rather than XHTML) for the minimized view is
not great for my implementation, as it makes the Weather Widget, or
Newsreader Widget difficult.

The concept of saving state (setPreferenceForKey) to share info between
different views is good - but it's the whole transition between the views
that I think falls between the gaps in the current spec.

Does this change your thinking at all?

Thanks,

Alex.

--