Re: Widgets on low memory devices

Ideas:
- Widget saves it state before shutting down. Recovers this state when
re-starting later.
- Widget is allowed to update the icon used as visual representation while
the Widget is not running. E.g. Widget could download a new icon from the
net while it is running, request the Widget engine to use this icon.

R: Guido

On 6/25/07 5:56 AM, "ext Marcos Caceres" <m.caceres@qut.edu.au> wrote:

> Apologies, the previous message was sent prematurely:( Please ignore it. I'll
> finish typing it and send it again.
> Marcos
>
> On 6/25/07, Marcos Caceres  <m.caceres@qut.edu.au> wrote:
>>

>> On 6/22/07, Alex Linde <alex@joemoby.com  <mailto:alex@joemoby.com> > wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been reviewing the widget requirements with regard to implementation on
>>> low memory devices. Within our proposed implementation we would like to have
>>> widgets with one or more views - essentially a minimized view for the
>>> "widget dashboard" with an option for a widget to maximize to full screen.
>>> This is possible within the framework you have proposed, however for a
>>> single " index.html" it still requires that all views are loaded by the
>>> browser or widget engine.
>>> My question is whether the ideal implementation of multiple views should be:
>>>
>>> - Separate html files within the widget - essentially requiring that each
>>> view can save state to pass to the other.
>>> - Individual div sections in the index.html with style.display = "none" for
>>> views that should be removed from memory.
>>> - ..something else?
>>

>> Admitedly. I quite like Yahoo!s solution to this problem: They use a Dock
>> object that takes a serialized XML document as a argument. This is very
>> convinient because it allows one to overcome many the problems at once.
>>
>> Memory:
>>   - on activate widget, deactivate docked reprentation. If memory if low, and
>> if this can be tested, then you can attempt to strip down what is going to be
>> shown in the dock.
>>
>> Separate html files within the widget
>>   -Either generate the DOM from scratch,
>> or load it dynamically from within the widget package
>>

>>> Would it be possible for the group to suggest a recommended method of
>>> supporting multiple views and include this in their documentation? This
>>> would help both widget runtime developers and widget authors.

Kind Regards
- Guido

-----
Guido Grassel, Nokia Research Center, guido.grassel@nokia.com