Re: Decouple XBL2 From CSS

* Antoine Quint wrote:
>That's right. However, the selector is CSS3 Selectors only, if I
>follow the reference in the current XBL2 draft. I think it would be
>great if XPath selectors were also accepted for bindings, if only
>because XPath is well understood by browsers out there today (well,
>at least WebKit, Gecko-based browsers, Opera and Internet Explorer)
>and is a core XML technology which XBL is poised to become too.
>
>Also, XPath is already a W3C recommendation.

The argument you have to make is that implementers sooner or later will
include support for using XPath with XBL2 in their implementation, and
we therefore should determine now the steps to take to ensure that that
will happen in the best possible way. Give us real world use cases that
are unlikely to be realized using XBL2+Selectors but considerably more
likely to be realized using XBL2+XPath. Give us real world tasks that
are easy to accomplish using XAML/.NET 3.0 but difficult to accomplish
using XBL2 as currently proposed because one relies heavily on XPath
and the other does not support it at all. That browsers have some level
of XPath support or that XPath is a Recommendation doesn't mean they
will support XPath and XBL2 without any need, and they have a few good
reasons not to.