Re: Decouple XBL2 From CSS

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Doug Schepers wrote:

> The XBL2 spec, as it stands, assumes only CSS for binding and for
> styling. This is an unnecessarily narrow requirement.  There should be
> options for other standardized languages as appropriate, such as XSL:FO
> for styling and XBL for binding.

I don't understand how XBL assumes anything for styling. It's a binding
language, not a styling language. It already supports XSL:FO, both in
terms of being used from XSL, and in terms of including XSL in bindings.

> Please revise the specification so that it does not assume that CSS is
> integral to XBL2.

CSS isn't integral to XBL2, though of course XBL2 is designed to integrate
tightly with XBL2.

However, even if it was, that doesn't seme like a problem. XBL2 is
intended to be a language used on the Web, primarily in Web browsers. The
Web is based on HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, so XBL should work tightly
with those languages. XSL:FO is never used on the Web, so seems mostly
irrelevant in terms of XBL.

Pragmatism is important; we don't want to run the risk of
over-generalising the specification, or making it too extensible, to the
point where authors don't have a clear picture of how to use the
technology, or to the point where the technology doesn't fit well with
their existing content and existing skill set.

That's not to say that we should prevent interaction with other
technologies; for example XBL is compatible with XML ID, XLink, XInclude,
XML Schema, and a host of other technologies which could hypothetically be
used on the Web. But it does mean we shouldn't design the specification to
assume those technologies will be available.

I hope this helps explain the design principles behind XBL2.