W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-apa@w3.org > May 2017

Minutes APA Special Teleconference on Personalization of 24 May

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 13:16:20 -0400
To: W3C WAI Accessible Platform Architectures <public-apa@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <richschwer@gmail.com>, Lisa Seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com>, Ian Pouncey <w3c@ipouncey.co.uk>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, "Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken" <tsiegman@wiley.com>, Charles LaPierre <charlesl@benetech.org>, Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>, "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org>
Message-ID: <20170524171620.GK1961@opera.rednote.net>
Minutes from the APA Special Teleconference on Personalization of 24 May are
provided below as text. They're also available as hypertext at:

http://www.w3.org/2017/05/24-apa-minutes.html


I've cc'd everyone whose RSVP was recieved, but please feel free to
forward these minutes as may be useful.  Thanks again to all who
attended.

Janina

<Begin Minutes>
W3C

                                                                                   - DRAFT -

                                                        Accessible Platform Architectures Working Group Teleconference

24 May 2017

   See also: IRC log

Attendees

   Present
          janina, jasonjgw, allanj, mateus-teixeira, dauwhe, tzviya, MichaelC, clapierre, Léonie, IanPouncey, George, Joanmarie_Diggs, tdrake, Rich_Schwerdtfeger

   Regrets
   Chair
          janina

   Scribe
          janina

Contents

     * Topics
         1. Welcome and Brief Introductions
         2. Discussion Goals -- Janina
         3. Open Discussion on Personalization Approache
     * Summary of Action Items
     * Summary of Resolutions
     _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

   <tzviya> https://mit.webex.com/mit/j.php?MTID=mbb385750f2282a20c795c93207634d83

Welcome and Brief Introductions

   <jasonjgw> Participants introduce themselves to the group.

   <dauwhe> Dave Cramer, Hachette Livre, CSSWG and various EPUB working/interest/community/business groups

   <jasonjgw> Participants include Task Force facilitators (APA and Accessibility Guidelines WG), accessibility specialists involved in digital publishing, CSS, Web
   Platform WG, ARIA WG.

Discussion Goals -- Janina

   <jasonjgw> Janina: notes the history of personalization at W3C, including efforts by the Indie-UI Working Group and the subsequent division of responsibilities among
   other (ongoing) W3C activities.

   <jasonjgw> Janina notes the importance of this issue to multiple stakeholders and the need to find architectural approaches taht will meet the needs of the interested
   communities.

   <jasonjgw> Janina notes the COGA module under discussion in the ARIA working group (intended to support personalization of Web content). This may be part of the
   personalization solution. COGA participants are also developing implementation prototypes.

   <Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say CSS media queries used for some aspects of personalization, and IndieUI User Context was a proposal

Open Discussion on Personalization Approache

   <jasonjgw> Janina: in addition to the COGA semantics, we have an agreement with the CSS WG to use media queries (as an extensible personalization mechanism),
   potentially in the scope of Media Queries 5.

   <MichaelC> IndieUI: User Context

   <jasonjgw> Michael: notes Indie-UI User Context as relevant background, which in principle the ARIA WG would take over.

   <MichaelC> Personalization Semantics editorsÂŽ draft

   <Lisa> see the github project and demo google doc on implementations We also now have a trello board to-do list The specification draft is at:
   https://rawgit.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/master/semantics.html out attempt to add it to wcag.2.1 is at
   https://www.w3.org/TR/2017/WD-WCAG21-20170228/#support-personalization-minimum All the best Lisa Seeman LinkedIn, Twitter

   <jasonjgw> Lisa: notes the COGA semantics - allowing content authors to annotate their content to provide personalization semantics.

   <jasonjgw> A second component is concerned with user settings (currently in JSON format).

   <jasonjgw> Lisa invites review of this work in relation to other peoples' use cases to find areas in which enhancements could be made.

   <jasonjgw> In the prototype implementation, a script processes the page and make use of the semantics [and settings?] to customize/personalize the page.

   <jasonjgw> Lisa notes that the script could be provided as a browser extension rather than by the content author.

   <jasonjgw> Lisa is looking for support for different use cases - for different user groups (low vision, digital publishing, etc.).

   <jasonjgw> Lisa is also seeking contributions to the prototype implementation. There are, for instance, various widget ideas - breadcrumbs, etc.

   <jasonjgw> Lisa notes papers on the topic.

   <jasonjgw> Lisa also notes related efforts (E.U., IBM, etc.) to develop approaches to personalization that support users with cognitive/learning disabilities..

   <jasonjgw> Lisa maintains that user preference profiles need to be readily available. She mentions the proposal by Rich Schwerdtfeger that Blockchain could be used
   for this purpose.

   <allanj> COGA demo https://rawgit.com/ayelet-seeman/coga.personalisation/demo/conactUs.html

   <jasonjgw> Lisa clarifies that the use of browser extensions could address security/privacy concerns, in her view.

   <George> http://www.diagramcenter.org

   <jasonjgw> Follwoing this exchange, Janina urges a more high-level discussion of requirements.

   <jasonjgw> George: notes the development by the DIAGRAM Center of a content model that can be used to provide alternatives to an image or other construct that may
   appear in an e-book.

   <jasonjgw> The content model supports various descriptions, simplified images, tactile graphics, tour of tactile graphics, possibility of 3D models, etc.

   <clapierre> http://diagramcenter.org/standards-and-practices/content-model.html

   <jasonjgw> All of these alternatives may be associated with objects on the Web or in an ebook. However, there's no means of identifying which of the alternatives are
   needed by a specific user.

   <jasonjgw> There are various means of presentation (e.g., details elements with aria-details property), but this requires the user to choose from a list of
   alternatives.

   <jasonjgw> DIAGRAM Center would like this capability to be in line with the W3C's personalization approach.

   <clapierre> Possibly also use Web Components vs. Media Queries

   <jasonjgw> Janina notes the need to become acquainted with the various requirements, then to discuss the various architectural approaches.

   <jasonjgw> Gottfried: draws a distinction between requirements emanating from persistent characteristics of the user (e.g., need for language support) and
   requirements resulting from the environment (e.g., noise levels).

   <jasonjgw> Lisa clarifies that the preferences are assumed to be available statically when the page is loaded, but there are widgets that could accommodate more
   dynamic preferences.

   <jasonjgw> Given the development of the Web of Things, Lisa notes the need to support dynamically/contextually changing preferences

   <jasonjgw> Gottfried notes the possibility of deriving symbols (from a symbol vocabulary) from markup used to indicate the function of controls.

   <Zakim> MichaelC, you wanted to say I think media queries more oriented to dynamic issues

   <Lisa> Can we have a requirements page

   <jasonjgw> Michael: media queries are oriented toward dynamic rather than static preferences - color, pointing device capabilities, etc. The CSS WG probably wouldn't
   expect static preferences (e.g., simplified language) to be expressed in media queries - another mechanism would be expected.

   <jasonjgw> Leonie inquires whether schema.org could be used for the latter purpose (the static preferences).

   <jasonjgw> Gottfried: notes that schema.org is largely used to tag resources but not to convey user needs/preferences.

   <jasonjgw> Lisa: suggests drafting a requriements page on a wiki.

   <jasonjgw> Charles: notes personalization work developed at the Benetech Code Sprint in the application of the COGA personalization approach. Charles raises the
   question of whether (potentially third-party) annotations are relevant to this discussion.

   <jasonjgw> Gottfried: notes that in his work tehre is no current model for third-party extensions of user interfaces.

   <jasonjgw> Charles: introduces the concept of a skin that could be applied to a Web site (presumably based on third-party annotations).

   <jasonjgw> Lisa: at the code sprint, a mapping file was created, separating the COGA semantics from the web page to which they were applied.

   <allanj> +1 skin

   <jasonjgw> Lisa maintains that where there exists a lack of resources to add the semantics to Web pages, this approach could be valuable.

   <jasonjgw> Jim: users with low vision need a solution less complicated than user style sheets to support color changes, line spacing, linearization, by way of a
   global override.

   <Zakim> Gottfried, you wanted to talk about personalization as WCAG+

   <clapierre> Here is a link to that github from the code sprint https://github.com/benetech/Accessible-Interactives-Dev/tree/master/inject-coga and a demo link
   https://benetech.github.io/Accessible-Interactives-Dev/inject-coga/sample/sample-page.html

   <jasonjgw> Gottfried: WCAG should be considered the baseline of accessibility, but there are user groups who need more than WCAG provides, and for this we need
   personalization. He emphasizes the limits of a "one size fits all" approach.

   <allanj> author proposes ... user disposes

   <jasonjgw> Personalization enables the very specific needs of some user groups to be accommodated.

   <jasonjgw> If third parties can contribute annotations, the Web site becomes even more accessible.

   <jasonjgw> User style sheets are discussed as a significant (existing) mechanism for supporting some of the needed customizations.

   <jasonjgw> It is noted ^by Jim) that user style sheets are complex to set up.

   <jasonjgw> Janina calls for further requirements - mobile, virtual reality, etc.

   <jasonjgw> Jim: there should be a venn diagram of user needs by various user groups and how they could be satisfied by various technologies.

   <jasonjgw> George: notes issues with text to speech/pronunciation raised in the context of the IMS Global Learning Consortium, the need to implement the SSML
   specification. George suggests that the pronunciation problem is significant in publishing.

   <jasonjgw> George maintains that there is a need for SSML implementation guidance.

   <allanj> speech output - pronunciation is a cascade. ssml, screen reader, text to speech engine, personal dictionary, and other layers

   <jasonjgw> Lisa noted earlier that pronunciation was an issue likely to give rise to difficulties if not properly handled.

   <jasonjgw> Lisa notes the personalization proposal that is currently before the Accessibility Guidelines WG for WCAG 2.1.

   <MichaelC> Support Personalization proposed SC for WCAG 2.1

   <jasonjgw> Lisa observes that personalization/adaptation is a significant means whereby large Web sites conform to WCAG 2.0.

   <George> George needs to leave now. Bye, and great conversation.

   <jasonjgw> WCAG 2.1 supplemental guidance may also include advice regarding personalization.

   <jasonjgw> Lisa invites review of the WCAG 2.1 proposal.

   <jasonjgw> Janina: we've covered many of the requirements. One of the next steps is to review the COGA TF work to determine whether we need a wider approach. If so,
   this could lead to a subsequent architectural discussion.

   <scribe> scribe: janina

   jgw: Suggests looking at additional approaches not yet discussed, third party annotators, uas, flows of info
   ... There's info about content that can modify
   ... then there's static user prefs that would applied generally

   <jasonjgw> Gottfried affirms this approach. He notes the important standards with which we should harmonize from ISO/IEC.

   <jasonjgw> It is agreed to establish a wiki page to document the information relevant to this discussion.

   <jasonjgw> This may need to be a public wiki for the benefit of non-APA participants.

   <MichaelC> APA Personalization wiki page

   <jasonjgw> Janina: immediate next steps are to look at the COGA documentation, then to populate the wiki.

   <allanj> I couldn't find the link in the minutes. is this correct http://w3c.github.io/pfwg/wtag/wtag.html

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]

-- 

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
			sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

Linux Foundation Fellow
Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:	http://a11y.org

The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures	http://www.w3.org/wai/apa
Received on Wednesday, 24 May 2017 17:17:07 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 18:55:26 UTC