Re: Annotations menus and help

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 10:44:57PM +0300, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:28:22 -0400, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:
>
> >>Eric Prud'hommeaux. He probably has the URI for it
> >
> >http://www.w3.org/1999/02/26-modules/dist/Annotea-2.tar.gz
>
> Muchas Gracias! I'll try downloading it now (but that will kill my line
> for quite a while :-(
>
> >Later, you can look for the latest Annotea link in
> >http://www.w3.org/1999/02/26-modules/dist/
>
> OK.
>
> >>It should just install nicely (it didn't on the first go, because I
> >>tried to put it somewhere funny, and waasn't sure how to tell perl that
> >>there are a couple of extra places it should look - PERL5LIB =
> >>"/foo:/bar" ??
> >>
> >>(one liner suggestion for the readme :-)
> >
> >Installing in odd places is a pain. I haven't figured out how to make
> >it easier. This is what the README says now:
> >[[
> >An example of installing in /usr/local/perlTest with perl 5.8.3:
> >
> >  PERL5LIB=/usr/local/perlTest/share/perl/5.8.3 \
> >  PREFIX=/usr/local/perlTest make install
> >]]
>
> Right. If I already have
> PERL5LIB = /sw/bin/something
> is it safe to just re-set the value of PERL5LIB ?
> Or is there a way to tell it to have 2 values? (I am not so concerned now
> that I will be stuffing up my own machine, but I am still a little nervous
> about randomly reassigning things that my system seems to want to use)

I was too lazy to look it up so i did this:
na:/home/eric$ PERL5LIB=/foo/bar:/foo/bar/baz perl -e 'print join ("\n", @INC)'
/foo/bar
/foo/bar/baz
/etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4
/usr/lib/perl5
/usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.8
/usr/share/perl/5.8
/usr/local/lib/site_perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.3
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.3

It worked with a ':' separator (ala PATH).
With a space separator, I got a line with "/foo/bar /foo/bar/baz" which
wouldn't have worked. Use a ':'.

Mind if I bounce this to public-annotea-dev ?
--
-eric

                        5322 Endo, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 252-8520
                        JAPAN
cell:   +1.857.222.5741 (does not work in Asia)

(eric@w3.org)
email address distribution.