Re: [web-annotation] Definition of specific resources: @Type

Hi Ivan,

1.      I’m claiming that at serialization time, the type should be
written explicitly in the annotation if it is not the default one.
This will be solved by software applications, I don’t say that the
human users should provide this information, which is “technical” by
nature and not “functional”

2.      I don’t think that the Metadata Vocabulary for Tabular Data is
 representative for client applications, however if the claim is that
there are some exceptional scenarios don’t need the type information
(either because there is only one type used for each object included
in the annotation), I can accept it. However, I would estimate that
the share of the annotations created within this kind of scenarios
will be le that 1%. Therefore … I have no problem if the standard says
 “SHOULD serialize the type” … instead of the MUST…

3.      I don’t find Tantek’s document to be a good example.   Why
should we use a software application to guess types when we already
know them (at the creation time) ?

4.      Why is the type obvious? For whom is the type obvious?

5.      “Type” is a keyword that is understood by anyone that has at
least minimal computer science .. and not only

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instance_%28computer_science%29

The meaning of the term "type" in computer science is rather similar
to the meaning of the word "type" in everyday language. For example, a
 barman can ask a client what type of beverage does he or she want –
coffee, tea or beer? A particular cup of coffee that the client
receives is in the role of an instance, while two cups of coffee would
 form a set of two instances of coffee, determining its type at the
same time.

6.     It is not only the servers, but also the clients. Annotations
are serialized by clients and parsed by servers at creation time. And
the other way around during retrieval. So there is a common interest
to share the types between servers and clients. Therefore I do not
support the following conclusion…

“Yes, server implementers may be unhappy, but they can do it
nevertheless. But if this leads to a more diverse set of clients, it
is worth it.”

7.      From my point of view a standard is made to reach a common
understanding and not for diversification purposes. Therefore I do not
 support the following conclusion..

“But if this leads to a more diverse set of clients, it is worth it.”

8.     Sorry if I defend the developer’s point of view. But knowing is
 better than guessing in any situation…

Br,

Sergiu