Re: [web-annotation] Should Vocab have diagrams?

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 00:52, Rob Sanderson <notifications@github.com>
wrote:

> Example diagrams for feedback:
>
> http://w3c.github.io/web-annotation/vocab/wd/#annotation
<http://w3c.github.io/web-annotation/vocab/wd/#annotation>
> http://w3c.github.io/web-annotation/vocab/wd/#choice
<http://w3c.github.io/web-annotation/vocab/wd/#choice>
> The SVG versions follow the pattern:
http://w3c.github.io/web-annotation/vocab/wd/images/examples/annotation.svg

<http://w3c.github.io/web-annotation/vocab/wd/images/examples/annotation.svg>
 but I'm not sure how we would link them and the export is ... not
perfect.

Indeed; it is strange that it has cut part of the figure… What is the
original file it exports from?

As for the link issue: the way we did it, lately, in the CSVW document
 is to link to the svg file (simply via the `img` element) and added a
 note in the caption that the PNG (and the SVG) file can be accessed
directly (see, for example,
https://www.w3.org/TR/2015/REC-tabular-metadata-20151217/#metadata-format

<https://www.w3.org/TR/2015/REC-tabular-metadata-20151217/#metadata-format>).

However, there are two caveats with this: (1) we may not have a
caption for each diagram and (2) if we have a lot of these (and we
have), loading and displaying each SVG file may take some time, which
is a pain. If we go down that route, it is probably worth trying to
simplify the diagrams in terms of visual tricks, eg, removing the
shadow effects.

Another possibility is to do it the other way round: have the PNG
image in the file and a link to the SVG. It is a shame that we still
may have to do that in 2016…

B.t.w., if we use SVG, we have to remove the width and height
attributes in the svg element (and replace it with a viewBox if
necessary, although it is also present in the svg file you referred
to). That makes the graphics rescale automatically. (It is again a
shame that this is still a problem, most of the editors still do this.
 The latest release of Illustrator has finally allowed one to set a
preference to generate a really re-scalable graphics, but I am not
sure many other tools do that…)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by iherman
Please view or discuss this issue at