Re: [web-annotation] avoid constraining HTTP

I have a much wordier email in the works. ;) However, I think there's a
core point to what Erik's been saying that we might be missing for the
trees.

The Web Annotation Protocol spec as currently written requires all
implementations to support read *and* write semantics--per 4.1.1:
http://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-protocol/#http-requirements

What if I have an existing commenting system that uses HTTP forms (ala
WordPress, etc), and I simply want to make those available in the
Annotation Data Model for viewing in relation to the page--something which
right now is done via RSS and Atom feeds?

If that's all I want to do, then this protocol doc won't help me as
currently defined--because of the MUSTs in 4.1.1.

This is a scenario I think we should be ager to support--given our charter,
etc. However, Erik's correct that the protocol doc does currently tie
reading and writing into a single set of requirements--"constraining HTTP."

Rather, we should prescribe how to advertise annotation containers and use
HTTP semantics for determining if they're currently writeable using
a combination of `Allow` and `Accept`.

If writes are attempted, and fail with 405...maybe the server changed it's
mind, lied to the client, or just plain ain't that smart yet. ;) The client
should be ready for that in any case.

I think if we change the MUST's to SHOULD's in 4.1.1 and call out that this
is for enabling writeable annotation containers, we SHOULD be fine. :)