Re: [web-annotation] avoid constraining HTTP

Well...I don't want to get side tracked by the example, it seems to me that
what you're saying is since we have to look into the container anyway it
doesn't actually matter if it calls itself an annotation container. Am I
understanding correctly?

If this is the case, do we need a container protocol at all? Can't everyone
just select off-the-shelf containers and 'Bob's your uncle'?

Essentially from the retrieving server's perspective, it's less the
question of 'are you an annotation server?' and more the question of 'does
the container I just received contain annotations in it?' Is that the crux
of the matter? Because that seems really six of one and half dozen of the
other.

However, IMO, we need to support both approaches because we'll have
communities of folks who will want to use one or the other of those methods
according to their arbitrary prerogative. It seems to me that simply
constraining HTTP is a eat the cake and still have it situation. It allows
those who want to have specialized annotation servers to have them but
detracts from those who want to look in the container to see if there are
annotations not at all. So I don't see the problem here. A bigger issue is
there may be a risk of marginalizing a section of the community interested
in employing specialized annotation servers.

Since you can still look in the container for the annotations I'm not sure
I see how these constraints actually hurt your desired implementations. Can
you clarify specifically what things you'll be prevented from doing?

Jacob Jett
Research Assistant
Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship
The Graduate School of Library and Information Science
501 E. Daniel Street, MC-493, Champaign, IL 61820-6211 USA
(217) 244-2164
jjett2@illinois.edu