From: Randall Leeds [mailto:randall@bleeds.info]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 12:59 PM
To: Robert Sanderson <azaroth42@gmail.com>; Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: Frederick Hirsch <w3c@fjhirsch.com>; Tim Cole <t-cole3@illinois.edu>; W3C Public Annotation List <public-annotation@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [model] Clarifying annotation architecture

If a system consumes an annotation with blank nodes and subsequently assigns then URIs, I don't see a problem.

A different system that does the same will assign its own URIs, and so there is no conflict, there are now two different resources that duplicate the content, each can be the subject of statements independently.

A system that wishes to annotate these resources would use the typical SpecificResource construction to avoid making open world statements about the originals.

So, I see no problem at all with using blank nodes for the bodies as in Tim's example. In practice, I imagine that annotations with blank nodes might acquire URIs as they are shared and reproduced, but so what?

The worst case scenario is that two independent consumers assign different URIs, then subsequent statements about these have their relationship obscured.

That's maybe really not so bad.

Yet the construction is much simpler and elegant for the producer.

Anyway, isn't part of the purpose of an annotation data model to capture references not a priori uniquely identified by the publisher? If we really want to make a statement about a blank node, maybe the right move is to select it out of some more canonical reference? GraphPathSelector anyone? ;)