RE: annotation protocol

Frederick Ė I agree that we have much to do, and I can understand if many or most of us donít place a high priority on discover mechanisms.

For what itís worth, from my perspective, annotations arenít worth much If you canít discover them. That doesnít mean we need to develop or define discovery mechanisms.  All I really need to see is a mechanism by which when an annotation is created, a notification is sent to the target (or to the administrator of the database where the target resides, or something along those lines). The rest of the discovery process may be left out of scope for this version as far as I am concerned.  And I think that Rob has already said that we would likely include such a mechanism. So I think weíre good.

Ray

From: Frederick Hirsch [mailto:w3c@fjhirsch.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 8:46 AM
To: Denenberg, Ray
Cc: Frederick Hirsch; Web Annotation
Subject: Re: annotation protocol

Ray

What I read from your email is the following issue:

issue:  define discovery mechanism for annotations associated with a given target

I would not expect the data model to define discovery mechanism, nor general protocol definitions.

This is another aspect that may require use cases and definitions;  however not in immediate charter scope [1], so probably v.next issue

Even if all is localized, we seem to have enough to do :)

does this all make sense?

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
Co-Chair W3C Web Annotation WG