Re: annotation protocol

Ray,

Curious about:

> when an annotation is created, a notification is sent to the target
> (or to the administrator of the database where the target resides,
> or something along those lines).

What is the use case/requirement for notification of the target?

Thinking annotations on a remote target for purely internal
consumption, say a group of investigators, where notification of the
target might make further investigation more difficult.

Hope you are at the start of a great week!

Patrick

On 11/24/2014 09:19 AM, Denenberg, Ray wrote:
> [...]
> is a mechanism by which when an annotation is created, a
> notification is sent to the target (or to the administrator of the
> database where the target resides, or something along those lines).
> The rest of the discovery process may be left out of scope for this
> version as far as I am concerned.  And I think that Rob has already
> said that we would likely include such a mechanism. So I think
> we’re good.
>

> Ray
>

> *From:*Frederick Hirsch [mailto:w3c@fjhirsch.com] *Sent:* Sunday,
> November 23, 2014 8:46 AM *To:* Denenberg, Ray *Cc:* Frederick
> Hirsch; Web Annotation *Subject:* Re: annotation protocol
>

> Ray
>

> What I read from your email is the following issue:
>

> issue:  define discovery mechanism for annotations associated with
> a given target
>

> I would not expect the data model to define discovery mechanism,
> nor general protocol definitions.
>

> This is another aspect that may require use cases and definitions;
> however not in immediate charter scope [1], so probably v.next
> issue
>

> Even if all is localized, we seem to have enough to do :)
>

> does this all make sense?
>

> regards, Frederick
>

> Frederick Hirsch, Nokia
>
> Co-Chair W3C Web Annotation WG
>
> @fjhirsch
>

> [1] http://www.w3.org/annotation/charter/
>

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 6:26 PM, Denenberg, Ray <rden@loc.gov
> <mailto:rden@loc.gov>> wrote:
>

> I am not clear on what we mean when we talk about protocol with
> respect to annotations.
>

> In my view of the world of annotations, ProviderX has a database
> of resources, for example, journal articles. UserA reads an article
> and creates an annotation.  That annotation is a resource created
> on some annotation database that userA has access to create an
> annotation on (obviously, not on ProviderX’s database).    UserB
> (unrelated to UserA) comes across that article and want to see
> annotations of the article.
>

> How does UserB discover UserA’s annotation (or for that matter any
> annotation of that article)? UserB doesn’t even know of the
> existence of UserA and his/her annotation database.
>

> Is this what we mean (or part of what we mean) by annotation
> protocol?
>

> Pardon the naïve question but I don’t see this addressed in the
> model. It is something I’ve wondered about for quite a while and
> don’t have an answer.  But I speculate that part of the process is
> that when UserA creates the annotation,  ProviderX is somehow
> notified of its creation and can choose to point to that
> annotation, and then UserB can find it.
>

> Is this issue addressed anywhere in any greater detail than this
> vague description?  Or is this to be part of the “protocol” to be
> developed.
>

> Apologies if this has all been addressed and solved,  and I just

- --
Patrick Durusau
patrick@durusau.net
Technical Advisory Board, OASIS (TAB)
Co-Chair, OpenDocument Format TC (OASIS)
Editor, OpenDocument Format TC, Project Editor ISO/IEC 26300
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)
Co-Editor, ISO 13250-5 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau