Re: Decisions ?: Towards a Standard model of the mind

Cart, what  response would you like us to formulate?

Milton, regarding plagiarism, to give credit to ideas/discussions picked up
on mailing list is
a courtesy
Researchers normally cite only published sources (that is, the excuse for
not
giving attribution is that a discussion is not a formal citable source)

This is why I publish short papers summarizing the novelty points
so that they are citable sources

However, they are plagiarised anyway, because dishonesty is engrained in
the academic system./
In many cases the mopre dishonest researchers are, the more rewarded with
careers advancements

Whistleblowers by contrast, those who denounce the plagiarism and
malpractice, are systematically discredited and locked out of professional
opportunities

In many cases, real plagiarism, where the ideas discussed in posts are
also  published
as formal peer reviewed  scholarly publications with DOIs and then
plagiarized (reworded, and maybe with an element of novelty added by the
plagiarist for good measure)
This is research malpractice
Unfortunately, it is widespread

I do not think W3C can do anything about it, other than offering the
facility to publish
reports with URLs

Aw, I can hear at the back of my head Owen suggesting that stratML can be
used to
assert the prior art of any ideas if published using stratML. Maybe so.

The problem is that enforcing the plagiarism complaints requires enourmous
amount of resources and time - we are busy trying to get the novelty
written up and accepted

So, lets try to update and advance our agendas anyway, whatever the cost