Re: New KBpedia and KBAI

Hi Paola,

You always ask the big questions. ;) So, I will try to limit my response
to big answers.

As for Wikipedia, I know/suspect there is bias and falsity in some of
the information. I see little of it directly, more in terms of errors of
omission or viewpoint, rather than direct falsities. My suspicion is the
actual percentage of unreliable information is quite low, though the
information may still be incomplete. One point worth making has to do
with so-called 'gold standards' that are essential to all science-based
assessments, particularly with regard to human language or knowledge.
Studies often see interannotator agreements in the 75-80% range, and
only very widely used standards (like WordNet or various language
corpora) get to agreements in the 90-95% range. This is an actual error
term, so when one sees F1 stats or similar, perhaps of 80% or whatever,
you need to decrement that amount by the interannotator agreement
percentage. Many tests claiming 85-90% agreements for NLP are actually
closer to 64% to 85% once we adjust for interannotator. Is 35% to 15% of
information on Wikipedia bad??

As a general matter, I am extremely leery of fact-checking services
because what are the standards? who are the annotators? what is their
interannotator agreement? These are science-based concerns, and I have
ethical ones as well.

As for the information in KBpedia, we tend to check most if not all of
our links each release (which have averaged every 4-6 months or so).
That is not perhaps frequent enough, but we also tend to tie into the
more central or structural concepts in these external sources, rather
than the leaves, which are more dynamic. The way KBpedia works is to tie
into a key linkage point in an external source, and use that linkage
point to retrieve current instances from that source. That is one reason
why there are only 58 K concepts in KBpedia, but they tie into tens of
millions of instances as maintained by the external sources.

The reasoning we do is the traditional deductive ones (consistency,
satisfiabiilty and subsumption) using reasoners like Pellet or HermiT,
plus inductive reasoning that is based on various supervised machine
learning approaches. We are not using abductive reasoning, but a reason
for trying to follow the insights of Charles Peirce is that we have a
means to get into that hypothesis-generating and -screening logic, which
Peirce did more than anyone to explicate. It is an area I personally
want to pursue further.

The management of information follows a triple/quad store that handles
the overall reasoning knowledge graph, with direct retrievals of
instance data from the source knowledge bases (the seven specifically
mentioned, plus another score of minor ones). Thus, KBpedia is not a
massive, centralized system, but a rather lightweight one with
distributed access and retrieval from its contributor sources. Of
course, this kind of Web-oriented architecture with all resources
identified by IRIs is one of the reasons semantic technologies make such
great sense.

Lastly, in terms of big useful lessons, I would point to the power of
having "correct" KR distinctions between instances (individuals), types
(generals or concepts), events, and attributes (monadic characteristics
like color or shape) on the noun side. And, on the verb side, relations
that split between attributes, direct relations and representations
(indexes and denotations). Look at any top-level ontology or knowledge
graph and ask yourself whether and how they handle these distinctions.
Most do not or only hand wave. The distinctions that we use on these
matters again come from the insights of Charles Sanders Peirce.

Best, Mike