tls + photuris?

I'm not sure how to say this in the charter in a clear and concise manner,
but I thought this was intended as an actual mechanism for passing data,
i.e. the example being ssl3 used for a web browser to exchange data with a
web server.  Note the ongoing data transmission.

I thought photuris was only for the negotiation phase and was not intended
for use in sending the actual data -- the model being that photuris did the
negotiation then something else (esp?) did the data transmission.

>Date: Sun, 7 Apr 96 13:50:48 GMT
>From: "William Allen Simpson" <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
>To: ietf-tls@w3.org
>Subject: Re: Revised Draft Charter
>Sender: ietf-tls-request@w3.org
>
>> From: Win Treese <treese@openmarket.com>
>> standards track RFC(s) for protocols using the currently available
>> Internet drafts as a basis.  The SSL, PCT and SSH protocols are
>> examples of mechanisms of establishing a secure channel for general
>> purpose or special purpose Internet applications running over a
>> reliable transport, usually TCP.
>>
>Are we limited to these drafts?  Or do other drafts already presented to
>the IPSec WG (specifically Photuris) that include general mechanisms for
>transport-layer security negotiation possible?
>
>The above seems to conflict with the "best effort" clause on key
>management:
>

>> The work currently under way in the area of secure IP is outside the
>> scope of this working group. Also, general authentication mechanism
>> discussions are outside the focus of this group. However, best efforts
>> will be made to utilize as much as possible of the already existing
>> technologies and methodologies in the IETF and other places to solve
>> common problems, such as key management.
>>

>WSimpson@UMich.edu
>    Key fingerprint =  17 40 5E 67 15 6F 31 26  DD 0D B9 9B 6A 15 2C 32
>BSimpson@MorningStar.com
>    Key fingerprint =  2E 07 23 03 C5 62 70 D3  59 B1 4F 5E 1D C2 C1 A2

                  Rodney Thayer           ::         rodney@sabletech.com
                  Sable Technology Corp   ::              +1 617 332 7292
                  246 Walnut St           ::         Fax: +1 617 332 7970
                  Newton MA 02160 USA     ::  http://www.shore.net/~sable
                           "Developers of communications software"