Re: Review of draft-toomim-httpbis-versions-00

Peter, thank you for your interest! I'm excited that you are bringing up
performance for discussion! There's a lot to say on that, and I give an
overview below:

*== Compression & Performance ==*

First, let me correct a big misinterpretation— this work absolutely
prioritizes *high-performance*, *realtime* data synchronization. It
should support thousands of mutations per second. Our implementations
are higher-performance <https://josephg.com/blog/crdts-go-brrr/> than
Automerge, for instance. I regularly work today with a doc composed of
110,000 edits. It loads instantly, thanks to some great Version-Types
we've designed.

The Version-Type (in the proposed Version-Type header) is the way you
get performance increases. The key to performance is managing history
growth. You manage that by finding a pattern in history, and then
compressing or ignoring history. You can express those patterns as a
Version-Type spec. (There's a robust theory behind this called Time
Machines.)

I apologize that this wasn't clear in the draft -00. I thought this
would be an advanced feature that people wouldn't comment on for a bit —
but am pleasantly surprised to hear your interest in it! I will be
adding more clarity to the spec on Version-Types, and already have begun
doing so in github:

    https://github.com/braid-org/braid-spec/blob/master/draft-toomim-httpbis-versions-01.txt#L885

I'd also encourage you to check out this sketch of how to bake RLE into
HTTP Header Compression:

    https://braid.org/meeting-69/header-compression
    https://braid.org/video/https://invisiblecollege.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/braid-meeting-69.mp4#4166

In any case, keep in mind that at this stage, we need to know only
whether there is /interest/ in this area of work — not whether this
particular spec meets your needs. If we adopt this work into the HTTP
WG, we will get a chance to change or rewrite any part of the spec. This
spec is just a starting point to get discussion going. So think of this
as a problem statement rather than a solution statement.

*== PUTs ==*

As for PUTs, I suspect you might be thinking about HTTP/1.0 where each
PUT might require a new TCP connection with its own TLS handshake. But
keep in mind that with HTTP/2 and 3, all HTTP semantics are expressed in
binary, and a PUT is usually just a single packet! This is just as
efficient as any hand-rolled protocol you have, and it has the advantage
of being interoperable with all of HTTP.

*== History Retention ==
*

This versioning model supports Time Machines
<https://braid.org/time-machines>— the beauty of which is that peers
become free to independently choose how much history to store. An
archival peer can store the full history. A light client can store just
the latest version (see the amazing Simpleton
<https://braid.org/simpleton> client, which needs zero history).

So each peer can choose how much history to store. If a peer doesn't
have enough history to merge an edit, it can simply request that history
from another peer. In this draft, you do so by requesting a GET with
both Version and Parents headers specified.

*== Signatures & Validation ==
*

This is out of scope for this proposal on versions. However, (a) there
are some Version-Types that double as signatures. When this happens, it
can be specified by authoring a Version-Type spec to articulate the new
constraint. And (b) this is a generally important area of work that I
encourage.

Cheers!

Michael