Re: Link-local connectivity in Web browsers

David,

> On Feb 21, 2024, at 8:20 PM, David Schinazi <dschinazi.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:
>  and side-steps the very real multiple interface + mDNS issues.
>
> Which issues are you referring to here?

Example: A computer is connected to both Ethernet and a separate Wi-Fi network. A device exists on each network with the name "printer.local", but since mDNS doesn't handle collisions across networks you can end up with ambiguous naming.

That is the reason both the mDNS RFC and Apple's Bonjour Printing specification recommend including a unique identifier in the mDNS hostname.  For most vendors this is a prefix, e.g., "ex" for Example Corp, followed by some amount of the MAC address or serial number, e.g., "ex12ab34.local", "ex-8675309.local", etc.

> 2. Locally-Unique Addresses (ULAs) can be assigned automatically and are better supported by the various client OS's than the RFC 4007 default scope for link-local addresses.
>
> ULAs require some centralized addressing infrastructure to communicate the ULA prefix to all nodes. I agree that it's a better choice when available though.

Yes, I see this mostly in the enterprise, where asking for a fixed IP for your printer is (sadly) still quite common.

Michael Sweet