Re: Link-local connectivity in Web browsers

Toerless,

> On Feb 21, 2024, at 8:43 PM, Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> wrote:
> Inclusion of human unfriendly elements like MAC addresses is not desirable when we
> are talking about use in places where 'normal users' are supposed to enter them.
> In m2m communications this is supposedly widely used though.

Both RFC 6762 and Apple's Bonjour Printing specification recommend the use of unique identifiers.  MAC addresses and serial numbers are common in shipping products, and are often printed on the device in question to allow 'normal users' to access/identify the device.

>> 2. Locally-Unique Addresses (ULAs) can be assigned automatically and are better supported by the various client OS's than the RFC 4007 default scope for link-local addresses.
>
> I am not aware of schemes that would automatically assign ULAs, would love a reference.
> I have written a scheme based on network wide configuration/autoprovisioning (RFC8994), but
> i am not aware of any similar solutions like that widely used.

Enterprise networks often make use of ULAs, and that is where I would expect them to be used most often since 'normal users' don't typically have the expertise to set those things up.

Michael Sweet