Re: Link-local connectivity in Web browsers

Hi Michael, and thanks for your review! Responses inline.
David

On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 5:24 AM Michael Sweet <msweet@msweet.org> wrote:

> David,
>
> I am neutral about this draft, mainly because it assumes that mDNS will
> always work

That's fair, I've added a paragraph explaining when it doesn't.

> and side-steps the very real multiple interface + mDNS issues.

Which issues are you referring to here?

It also is missing the IETF URI WG's first efforts (never adopted but
> historically relevant):
>
>     https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fenner-literal-zone/

Thanks. I've incorporated the history you mentioned on the 6man list [1]
into the draft.

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ipv6/Pl-y5t0smD8riU9LFV3V4BdbLjU/

Finally, nothing prevents X.509 certificates from being used for mDNS
> hostnames. The issue is having a suitable trust anchor/CA, which is the
> focus of the following draft:
>
>     https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sweet-iot-acme/

Agreed. I've clarified that this is the current state of affairs and that
future work could solve that.

WRT specific guidance about IPv6LL alternatives:

> 1. mDNS hostnames are generally a useful solution, with the caveat that
> the network needs to support multicast traffic and the hostnames should
> include unique identifiers such as MAC addresses to minimize the chances
> that you'd get duplicate hostnames on different interfaces. And aside from
> the multiple-interface scenario, there is also the roaming scenario to
> consider ("router.local" on different networks as you move from place to
> place).

Agreed. The draft did mention the need for unicity, but I've made it
stronger.

2. Locally-Unique Addresses (ULAs) can be assigned automatically and are
> better supported by the various client OS's than the RFC 4007 default scope
> for link-local addresses.

ULAs require some centralized addressing infrastructure to communicate the
ULA prefix to all nodes. I agree that it's a better choice when available
though.