Re: Stream limits draft posted

On Wed, Nov 15, 2023, at 08:30, David Benjamin wrote:
> I also think this allergy towards minting ALPNs is bad for the
> evolvability of our protocols.

Using the pejorative "allergy" isn't helpful here.  Ben is simply pointing out the non-trivial cost of minting a new token, which we have to carefully weigh against the benefits.  Right now, it's quite possible that a breaking change in HTTP/2 -- which is what an ALPN change implies -- could be interesting, but the more we do, the harder it is to justify doing the work.

If we can't agree that deploying a very minor update like the one described in the draft under discussion is feasible, then I don't hold out high hopes for a breaking change with a suite of changes.  Obviously, if you think that you have to have a new ALPN token in order to break the 0.5 RTT impasse, that's another thing, but it does push the cost-benefit further into the red (at least for me).